Thursday, January 8, 2015

Dill Pickle Soup



I love pickles. I think if a good pickle, administered shortly after the last breath is taken, can bring a person back from the dead. I have been known to eat an entire jar of pickles and drink all the juice in one sitting. Plus, I will pickle anything. When I stumbled across this recipe I knew I HAD to make it, but I was not too sure. Boy howdy, is this good.

Ingredients
5 1/2 Cups Vegetable Broth
2 Pounds Potatoes, Peeled and Chopped
2 Cups Chopped Carrots
1 Cup Dill Pickle, Diced (3-4 large whole dills)
1/2 Cup Butter (I use Earth Balance)
1 Cup Flour
1 Cup Sour Cream (I use Tofutti Sour Supreme)
1/4 Cup Water
2 Cups Pickle Juice
1 1/2 Teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
1/2 Teaspoon Black Pepper
1/4 Teaspoon Cayenne

Directions
In a large pot bring broth, potatoes, carrots, and butter to a boil; cook until potatoes are tender and break apart easily
Add pickles and reduce heat
Mix flour, sour cream, and water to form a thick paste
Whisk in sour cream mixture a little at a time; using a whisk helps break up the potatoes and keeps the sour cream mixture from clumping
Add pickle juice, Old Bay Seasoning, black pepper, and cayenne
Cook for 5 more minutes

No comments:

Post a Comment