Monday, August 13, 2012

Vegan "Chick-fil-A" Sandwich


Back when I ate such things, I loved fried chicken, especially Chick-fil-A. In fact, if any one thing would steer me from the vegan course, then it would be fried chicken. Needless to say I was very excited when I saw this recipe from PETA. This sandwich is nutritious, delicious, and is great for a same-sex wedding reception.

Ingredients
4 Vegan Chicken Cutlets (I used the Gardein brand recommended in the original recipe. While these are good, they have their own seasoning which I found to interfere with the taste of the finished sandwich.)
3/4 Cup Almond Milk (I used vanilla because it was what I had, and everything turned out fine.)
1/4 Cup of Pickle Juice
1 1/4 Cups of Flour
1 Teaspoon of Salt
1 Teaspoon of Pepper
1 Teaspoon of Onion Powder
1/2 Teaspoon of Paprika
1/4 Teaspoon of Dry Mustard
2 Tablespoons of sugar
Peanut Oil for Frying (This is what Chick-fil-A uses.)

Directions
Mix the almond milk and pickle juice
Combine the flour and all of the seasonings
Dip a thawed cutlet into the milk/pickle juice mixture and then place in the flour mixture; coat well
Warm the peanut oil in a skillet. Get the oil hot, smoking hot, before placing the breaded cutlets in the skillet. You want to hear a "sizzle."
Cook each side for 3 minutes
Place on toasted bun with pickle chips

Note: Back when I ate VERY unhealthy foods, I would squirt a package of mayonnaise on the Chick-fil-A sandwich. So for this sandwich I spread some vegan mayo on the bun, and, boy howdy, was that delicious.

No comments:

Post a Comment