Thursday, July 26, 2012

BBQ Tempeh



I love tempeh. It has a firm texture and nutty flavor and can be used in a variety of ways from a substitute in tuna salad (toona salad?) to broiling. You could probably grill tempeh as well, but I have never understood standing outside in 90+ degree heat whilst cooking over an open flame. When I barbecue I like to do it indoors with air conditioning.

I find the packaged tempeh to be a little too thick, so when I cook it I usually cut the large rectangle into smaller triangular pieces and then cut those pieces in two to make them half as thick as they were.

For this particular dish I used a delicious Pampered Chef BBQ rub a good friend gave me as a going away present. Usually I make my own rub consisting of paprika, garlic powder, chili powder, salt, and pepper.

Coat the tempeh in the rub and let it sit while the broiler heats. Add oil to the bottom of a cast iron skillet and place underneath the broiler as it warms. This will get the skillet nice and hot. (Careful. I once started a fire in the oven doing this, so make sure not to use too much oil. But that is just good advice in general.) Once the broiler is ready place the sliced tempeh in the skillet and broil for about 5 minutes. Turn over the slices and apply your favorite BBQ sauce and broil for another 3-5 minutes. Serve with red beans & rice and some black bean & corn salad for a delicious summer treat.

No comments:

Post a Comment