Friday, July 13, 2012

Macaroni and Vegan Cheese




I have always loved macaroni and cheese. I grew eating it as a side dish, but as I got older I started using macaroni and cheese as an entree. Just like with the dairy version, vegan macaroni and cheese has a lot of different recipes and variations. I have always believed simpler is better when it comes to mac and cheese which is why I like this recipe.

Ingredients
1 Package of Pasta (I used whole wheat shells)
18 Ounces of Daiya Cheddar Shreds
2 Cups of Almond Milk (Soy works as well)
2 Tablespoons of Whole Wheat Flour
2 Tablespoons of Earth Balance
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Directions
Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit
Cook pasta al dente
Place Earth Balance in heated skillet and let melt
Add the flour and mix until it becomes thick; season mixture with salt and pepper
Pour the milk and stir until mixture becomes smooth
Add the Daiya and mix until the shreds melt
Mix the pasta and cheese sauce until the all the pasta is coated
Pour pasta and cheese mixture into a baking dish and bake for ten minutes

NOTE: Season some panko bread crumbs and cover the top of the dish with the crumbs before baking. If you did not use the bread crumbs, then you could probably skip the baking part of the recipe.


No comments:

Post a Comment