Thursday, October 25, 2012

Southwestern Pumpkin Burgers




I love veggie burgers but am not a big fan of frozen and processed foods, so I enjoy making my own veggie burgers. This recipe blended some unique flavors, and I thought I would give it a go. This is a tasty dish (and pretty to look at it). It did not have the pumpkin taste I thought it would, but I think it was sweet enough to counter the spice in the dish. I served it with a side of black beans and rice.

Ingredients
1 Onion, Chopped
1 Bell Pepper, Chopped
1/2 Cup of Corn
2 Cloves Garlic, Minced
2 Teaspoons of Chili Powder
1 Teaspoon of Cumin
1/2 Cup of Pumpkin Puree, Unseasoned
1/2 Cup Daiya Pepper Jack (Ooops! I forgot to include this in the burger, so I served it on the tortilla.)
1/2 Cup of Wheat Germ
1/2 Cup of Breadcrumbs
2 Tablespoons of Parsley, Chopped
Salt and Pepper to Taste

Directions
Saute the onion for about 5 minutes
Add bell pepper, corn, garlic, chili powder, and cumin and cook for 2 minutes
Pour contents into a large mixing bowl
Once the onion mixture is cool, add the pumpkin, Daiya, wheat germ, breadcrumbs, parsley, and salt and pepper
Form patties with wet hands and cook each patty in oil for about 4 minutes per side
Serve in warm tortilla with vegan sour cream, shredded lettuce, and homemade salsa

Full confession: I am terrible at making patties. They either end up too thick (falafels) or they fall apart (like these). The one in the picture is the only that approached a patty shape. Maybe it could have used a little more wetness? This is where you could add more pumpkin for added taste and texture.

No comments:

Post a Comment