Wednesday, December 5, 2012

Raw Hummus




Raw hummus is made from raw or sprouted chickpeas (garbanzo beans) instead of cooked chickpeas. To sprout the chickpeas I soaked the dried chickpeas overnight. I then strained them, left them in the strainer, rinsed them several times a day, (Usually once before work and once after work.), and left them sitting on the counter. It took about 4 or 5 days for the chickpeas to sprout for me, but most articles I read said 1-2 days. A picture of the sprouted chickpeas are below.

Ingredients
1 Cup of Sprouted Chickpeas
2 Tablespoons of Tahini
1/3 Cup of Olive Oil
4-5 Cloves of Garlic, Or to Taste
1 Tablespoon of Lemon Juice
1/2 Teaspoon of Salt

Directions
Place all ingredients in a food processor and chop until smooth.

Note: This ended up being not quite as creamy as I am used to hummus being. Perhaps it was because of the raw chickpeas, or because I need a bigger food processor. I added a little more tahini and olive oil at the end to make it a little less dry.

Sprouted chickpeas! They look kinda dirty, don't they?

No comments:

Post a Comment