Monday, December 31, 2012

Sushi



In my pre-vegan days I loved sushi. I always thought either sushi or fried chicken would send me hurtling off the vegan wagon. I had toyed with the idea of making my own sushi for a long time. When I finally got around to making it, I was upset it took me so long to do this. This was delicious and a lot of fun to make.

Rice
Cook the sushi rice according to the package directions. While you can also use jasmine rice, I used sushi rice. Once the rice is cooked, place in a non-metallic bowl and add two tablespoons of rice vinegar, one tablespoon or sugar, and one teaspoon of salt.

Nori
Nori is edible seaweed. You can find it in some supermarkets and at Asian markets.

Vegetables
I used avocado, cucumber, carrots, radishes, and bell pepper. Feel free to use whatever you like.

Making a Roll
Place the nori rough side up. Be careful as it is delicate. Wet your hands and place the rice in a thin layer on 1/2 to 2/3 of the seaweed making sure to go to the edges. Place anywhere from 1-5 vegetables on the center of the rice. Start at the bottom of the nori with the rice and roll tightly. Slice the roll.

To get this right takes practice. Fun and delicious practice. After making these rolls I realized the importance of those bamboo pads you see in the "make sushi at home" kits. Getting a tight roll by hand is difficult.

I think sushi is best enjoyed with another person. A great date idea would be to make sushi together and then enjoy with miso soup and sake.

No comments:

Post a Comment