Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Marinara



Marinara. Gravy. Sauce. Whatever you call it, I love to eat and make it. Cooking my own marinara is always a exercise in creativity since I make it different each time. But even if you make it the same way every time, it always seems to have a different taste and texture. Below is the recipe I use to make "Sunday Gravy" which is the most special kind of marinara.

Ingredients
26 Ounce box of Pomi Tomatoes
1 Onion, chopped
1-2 Bell peppers, chopped
2 Tablespoons of Oregano
3-4 cloves of garlic
1-2 Bay leaves
1 Cup of red wine (Optional)
Fresh Basil leaves
Crushed red pepper, to taste
Salt and pepper, to taste

Directions
In a large sauce pot saute the onions and peppers in olive oil for about 5 minutes
Add the bay levaes, oregano, garlic, salt, pepper, and crushed red pepper; cook for a minute
Add red wine and cook until liquid is reduced by half
Add tomatoes and basil leaves
Reduce heat to low, partly cover, and let simmer for about 3 hours
Taste regularly and adjust seasoning as needed

Tip: If the sauce is tart, then add a little sugar.

If I want to make a quick sauce, like the one pictured, then I would omit the wine and bay leaves and maybe add some olives or sun-dried tomatoes for extra flavor. I usually cook that for about 20 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment